AN interactive event aimed at raising awareness of mental illness and the stigma surrounding it, will take place in the Calton Centre, 121 Montgomery Street, (corner of Easter Road) Edinburgh on Tuesday 8 October from 1.00pm until 4pm.
The Mental Health Information Afternoon is free and has been organised by NHS Lothian in partnership with Health in Mind and Advocard.
Jane Sutherland, lead occupational therapist, NHS Lothian, said:
“The purpose of the day is to assist in raising awareness of mental illness and to reduce the stigma which still surrounds it.
“We’re looking forward to welcoming people who are carers or have been affected by mental illness and during the afternoon they will be able to talk to a wide range of staff from various projects including NHS Lothian and their social work colleagues.
“Nurses, a psychiatrist, a psychologist, occupational therapists, support workers, a physiotherapist and staff from information and community resources will be on hand to talk about the various aspects of mental illness, the services available to help and how to manage particular conditions.”
As well as finding out what is available in the area, visitors will receive self-help and education packs, have an opportunity to find out about benefits and education opportunities and be able to enjoy a variety of holistic therapy taster sessions as well.
Linda Irvine, strategic programme manager, Mental Health and Wellbeing, NHS Lothian, said:
“This is a successful annual event which provides excellent information in an informal setting enabling anyone who wants to find out more about what services are available within their local community.
“The event will also help to build stronger links between services, service-users and carers and I would encourage people to come along on the day and find out more.”
For further information contact Doreen Graham, Health in Mind Communications Manager: 0131 243 0137 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Jane Sutherland, Lead Occupational Therapist, NHS Lothian: 0131 537 8650.
Notes for editors
- The Mental Health Information Event has been organised by NHS Lothian in partnership with Health in Mind and Advocard.
- The event takes place on Tuesday 8 October 2013 from 1.00pmto 4pm at the Calton Centre, 121 Montgomery Street, Edinburgh EH7 5EP (corner of Easter Road).
- Tea and coffee will be provided.
- Some of the 22 projects attending on the day will be: Action on Depression, Bipolar Self Help Group, Scottish Recovery Network, Redhall Garden Project and Edinburgh Carers Council.
- Health in Mind promotes positive mental health and wellbeing in Scotland. More information can be found at www.health-in-mind.org.uk
- Advocard is a service user-led, independent advocacy organisation. More information can be found at: www.advocard.org.uk
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Health in Mind. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.