BBC ALBA will broadcast daily programmes from this year’s Royal National Mòd as it is held in Paisley for the first time in its 121-year history.
The Mòd, organised by An Comunn Gàidhealach, is recognised as the Gaelic community’s most prestigious festival celebrating cultural heritage, Gaelic language, music and arts.
Produced by BBC Gàidhlig and presented by highly-acclaimed singer and musician, Mary Ann Kennedy, BBC ALBA will be broadcasting five programmes showcasing the best of the festival from Monday 14th to Friday 18th October.
The run of shows includes live coverage of the one of the most prestigious moments of the festival – Thursday’s Traditional Gold Medal Final for singing.
Radio nan Gàidheal will also be at the Mòd to provide live broadcasts of many of the week’s events – including the ever-popular Mire ri Mòir cèilidh on Friday at 10am – and live coverage of the Rural Choirs on Thursday from 1.30pm.
The choirs will be competing for the Lorn Shield and the Sheriff MacMaster Campbell Memorial Quaich and BBC ALBA will also feature the choir winners on the same evening.
The latest news, interviews and regular updates throughout the week will also be provided for viewers and listeners with news teams from An Là on BBC ALBA and Aithris na Maidne and Aithris an Fheasgair on BBC Radio nan Gaidheal reporting from across the festival.
The BBC ALBA programmes include:
- Monday 14th, 10.00pm – 11.30pm: Mary Ann Kennedy presents highlights from the first day of the Children’s Mod in Paisley, primarily for Gaelic learners. Amongst the performers will be the winners of the main singing competition for learners, the James C MacPhee Memorial Medal.
- Tuesday 15th, 10.00pm – 11.30pm: Songs, poetry and fun from the second day of the Children’s Mod when native speakers are to the fore. Amongst the successful performers will be the winners of the main prize of the day, An Comunn Gàidhealach Silver Medal.
- Wednesday 16th, 10.00pm – 11.00pm: Mary Ann Kennedy and special guests recount favourite Mod moments along with song performances from some of today’s competition winners.
- Thursday 17th, 7.30pm – 9.00pm: Live coverage of the traditional gold medal competition for singing from the Royal National Mod. Live coverage will also be simulcast on Radio nan Gàidheal.
- Friday 18th, 10.00pm – 11.30pm: Coverage of the main choral winners of the day will feature from the final concert of the week.
Mòd 2013 programming will also cater for younger viewers and fans of Aileag and Dè a-nis? will be pleased to hear that their favourite programmes will be recording in Paisley where Megan MacLellan will join Derek MacIntosh as a new member of the Dè a-nis? team.
For regular updates as well as video and audio highlights from the Royal National Mòd 2013, visit the BBC ALBA website at www.bbc.co.uk/alba.
For further information please contact Lorna Gardner or Gary McQueen at Media House on 0141 220 6040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com.
Notes to editors
BBC ALBA is available on the following platforms:
• Sky 143 (UK)
• Freeview / You View 8 (Scotland only)
• Virgin Media 188 (UK)
• Freesat 110 (UK)
• BT Vision 8 (Scotland only)
• Smallworld 170 (Ayrshire and North West England)
• Live on BBC iPlayer (UK)
• Ten hours of content per week available to view on demand via the BBC PC iPlayer and the BBC iPlayer on Virgin Media
BBC ALBA is run by MG ALBA in partnership with the BBC. MG ALBA is the operating name of Seirbheis nam Meadhanan Gàidhlig, the Gaelic Media Service.
Find out more about MG ALBA and the partnership at www.mgalba.com or visit www.bbcalba.co.uk for scheduling and programme information.
MEDIA RELEASE posted by Media House International. You too can post media releases (aka press releases) on allmediascotland.com. For more information, email here.