TISSUE Solutions, one of the UK’s leading providers of human biomaterials, has just received the prestigious Queen’s Award for International Trade.
From a two person start-up only seven years ago, the Glasgow-based company has had a meteoric rise by meeting worldwide demand for ethically sourced human biomaterials for preclinical research and development.
The company has prospered despite the UK’s longest and deepest recession for more than 50 years. It supplies and services 200 global clients, including all the major pharmaceutical companies.
More than 60 per cent of its export sales come from Europe and the USA and it has clients as far afield as Japan and Australia. During the last three years it has seen overseas growth of 179 per cent and has a more than 80 per cent repeat order success rate.
Founding directors, Dr Morag McFarlane (46) and Dr Ann Cooreman (56), set up the business in 2007 to offer clients a service they needed themselves as scientists and were unable to find.
The business now employs 11 staff and is based at the West of Scotland Science Park in Glasgow having outgrown two sets of premises.
Tissue Solutions acts as a virtual biobank sourcing and ensuring delivery of fresh, frozen and paraffin embedded fully consented samples from more than 20 countries across four continents for its clients.
Human biomaterials are used as the best model available in preclinical research and development for a wide range of applications including discovering new therapies and predicting how drugs will behave in patients.
Dr Morag McFarlane, chief executive officer, said: “We are delighted to receive the Queen’s Award in recognition of our contribution to international trade.
“This highlights how essential human biomaterials are in advancing medical research and we are extremely proud to be part of this.
“We understand that the best research comes from the best samples. Our senior management are all PhD scientists with first-hand experience of working with tissue samples and can provide professional expertise and support in this area.
“We are committed to providing the very highest quality samples for our clients to help advancements in biomedical research.”
Notes for editors:
1. Tissue Solutions sources ethically-acquired and fully-consented quality human tissue and biofluids from an extensive global network of collaborating partners. These range from direct hospital sources to commercial biobanks, charities and prospective post mortem organ and tissue collection agencies.
2. Dr Morag McFarlane and/or Dr Ann Cooreman can be contacted for interview at Tissue Solutions on 0141 299 0055 or on 07717 325061 and 07905 061347 respectively.
3. Approximately 160 Queen’s Awards were announced this year for outstanding business achievement in the fields of International Trade, Innovation and Sustainable Development. See www.queensawards.org.uk.
4. Winners of The Queen’s Awards are invited to attend a special reception at Buckingham Palace usually in July. They can also use The Queen’s Award emblem in advertising, for marketing and on packaging for a period of five years as a symbol of quality and success.
5. The awards are only given for the highest levels of excellence demonstrated in each category.
PRESS RELEASE issued by CopyWrite Editorial. You too can post your story ideas for journalists (aka Press or media releases), on allmediascotland.com. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Check out twitter.com/nonstopstories.