THE Famous Grouse Experience at Glenturret Distillery in Crieff will go head-to-head this week with two other international whisky visitor attractions in the global Icons of Whisky Awards, the winner of which will be announced at a glittering black tie event in London on Thursday evening.
In December, The Famous Grouse Experience was crowned Whisky Visitor Attraction of the Year at Whisky Magazine’s 2015 UK Icons of Whisky Awards. Now, having been selected as the top whisky visitor attraction in the UK, from a shortlist of 20 other whisky visitor attractions, they are in with a one in three chance to be named the best in the world.
Last year, The Famous Grouse Experience completed a £250,000 investment in its key visitor areas and café. The refurbishment programme, which was the first major upgrade to the facilities since 2007, was officially opened at the end of May by The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, whose visit received international media coverage, projecting the visitor’s event facilities across the globe.
In January this year, the distillery formed a commercial partnership with globally renowned chef, Andrew Hamer, former executive chef at Gleneagles Hotel.
Andrew has opened a new contemporary restaurant at the distillery, Wilde Thyme at Glenturret, offering visitors a world-class culinary experience alongside the exceptional taste of the local Perthshire larder.
Stuart Cassells, general manager at The Famous Grouse Experience, said:
“We are passionate about developing a world-class experience at Glenturret Distillery and to be shortlisted for the Global Whisky Visitor Attraction of the Year is indicative of the exceptional attention to creating a memorable experience that our team delivers.
“As Scotland’s oldest-working distillery, we still use traditional methods of whisky production which not only makes us unique, but creates a very special experience for our visitors. This passion for quality, and our adherence to Scotland’s traditional crafts, is carried on throughout the Experience, from our informative tours to Andrew’s passion for food.”
For further information on this news release, please contact Tricia Fox, Volpa, Tel: 07989 955039 or 01738 658187, Email: email@example.com
Notes to Editors
About Glenturret Distillery and The Famous Grouse Experience
• The Famous Grouse Experience is located at Scotland’s oldest-working distillery – Glenturret. Originally established as a single malt distillery in 1775, today The Famous Grouse Experience is the most visited distillery in Scotland (welcoming an average of 100,000 visitors every year).
• The distillery was fully refurbished in 2014 and was recently awarded UK Whisky Visitor Attraction of the Year by Whisky Magazine and is currently on the shortlist to be named Global Whisky Visitor Attraction of the Year.
• It has recently announced the opening of a new café & restaurant on site, Wilde Thyme at Glenturret, a partnership with award-winning Comrie-based luxury caterers, Wilde Thyme, offering the very best in locally-sourced Scottish produce and dishes that give diners an authentic and delicious taste of Perthshire.
• The distillery offers the opportunity to learn how a single malt is made in the traditional way, as well as learning how some of the Glenturret single malt is then blended along with other grain and malt whiskies to create The Famous Grouse, the No. 1 whisky in the UK.
• Opening Hours 10am-6pm (Nov-Feb 10am-5pm)
• Visitor and café restaurant Opening Hours 10am-6pm (Nov-Feb 10am-5pm) The restaurant will be opening in the evenings in the Spring.
• For more information please visit www.thefamousgrouseexperience.com or call 01764 656565
• Distillery Experience: (one hour) Runs hourly. Includes one exceptional distillery tour, and a taste of two fine whiskies. £10 adult, £9 concession (seniors/students/under 18s).
• Tasting Experience: (one hour) Runs hourly. Includes one exceptional distillery tour, a taste of five fine whiskies and a souvenir nosing glass to keep. £20 Famous Tasting, £30 Finest Tasting, Over 18s only.
• Warehouse Experience: (1½ hours) Available daily at 2.30pm. Includes one exceptional distillery tour, a taste of four fine whiskies and a magical peek at hundreds of sleeping casks in our very special warehouse. £40, Over 18s only, Pre-booking recommended.
• Blending Experience: (two hours) Available daily at 2.30pm. Includes one exceptional distillery tour, a tasting of four fine whiskies inside our exclusive bonded warehouse and a unique opportunity to master the art of blending your own whisky, complete with complimentary 100ml bottle and certificate. £60, Over 18s only, Pre-booking recommended.
• Stillman Experience: (10-4pm) Available Tue, Wed, Thu. Includes one exceptional experience with unrivalled access to the unique world of whisky production. Spend the day side by side with our Stillman and our Drammolier™, learn the art of blending, and toast one fine day with a dram from your complimentary bottle of The Glenturret Highland Single Malt. £250, Over 18s only, Pre-booking essential.
MEDIA RELEASE issued by Volpa. You too can post your story ideas for journalists (aka Press or media releases), on allmediascotland.com. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Check out twitter.com/nonstopstories for your very own media releases feed…
Check out too twitter.com/allDrinkPR…
To catch up on all the media releases recently posted on to allmediascotland.com, you need only click the link icon that you see towards the bottom right of our two media release ‘gateway boxes’.
Volpa contact details…
Contact: Tricia Fox