FIFTEEN questions, numerous entries, but only one winner. So, congratulations to Dorset-based Rob Johnson, who wins a bottle of The Glenlivet 18 Year Old single malt Scotch whisky – courtesy of Chivas Brothers* …….for correctly answering every question in the allmediascotland Festive Quiz.
The quiz was as follows:
1. Correctly match these latest, average sales figures in Scotland (according to the Audit Bureau of Circulation) with the following newspapers:
351,024 – 66,655 – 308,804 – 20,460 – 4499 – 56,543 – 375,347 – 102,680 – 68,209 – 55,877
Sunday Telegraph – Scottish Sun – Scottish Mail on Sunday – Scottish News of the World – Sunday Times Scotland – Financial Times – Scotland on Sunday – Daily Record – Scottish Daily Express – Sunday Mail – The Herald
A. 351,024 – Scottish Sun, 66,655 – Sunday Times Scotland, 308,804 – Daily Record, 20,460 – Sunday Telegraph, 4499 – Financial Times, 56,543 – The Herald, 375,347 – Sunday Mail, 102,680 – Scottish Mail on Sunday, 68,209 – Scottish Daily Express, 55,877 – Scotland on Sunday
2. What do the following acronyms stand for?
RAJAR (radio), ABC (newspapers and magazines), SDNS and SNPA becoming the SNS (newspapers) and BARB (television)?
A. Radio Joint Audience Research Limited, Audit Bureau of Circulation, Scottish Daily Newspaper Society, Scottish Newspaper Publishers Association, Scottish Newspaper Society and Broadcasters Audience Research Board
3. Match the following well-kent names in the Scottish media, with the following appointments made during these last 12 months:
John McLellan – Tim Bowdler – Kathleen Morgan – Jamie McIvor – Graham Bryce – Janette Harkess – Michael Crow – Ian Russell – Iain Macwhirter – Mike Gilson – Donald Martin – Lorraine Fraser – Eileen Herily – Ellis Watson.
Lecturer, Edinburgh Napier University – Marketing director, Trinity Mirror (Nationals) – Chair, Johnston Press – Rector, University of Edinburgh – Board chair at the PA Group – Head, entertainment and events, BBC Scotland – Director, strategy and communications, Scottish Tories – Editor, Belfast Telegraph – Editor, The Scotsman – Managing director, Bauer Media’s Scottish radio division – President, Society of Editors – Correspondent, local government, BBC Scotland – Director, policy and research, SCDI – Director, marketing and business development, FirstGroup.
A. John McLellan – Editor, The Scotsman, Tim Bowdler – Board chair at the PA Group, Kathleen Morgan – Lecturer, Edinburgh Napier University, Jamie McIvor – Correspondent, local government, BBC Scotland, Graham Bryce – Managing director, Bauer Media’s Scottish radio division, Janette Harkess – Director, policy and research, SCDI, Michael Crow – Director, strategy and communications, Scottish Tories, Ian Russell – Chair, Johnston Press, Iain Macwhirter – Rector, University of Edinburgh, Mike Gilson – Editor, Belfast Telegraph, Donald Martin – President, Society of Editors, Lorraine Fraser – Marketing director, Trinity Mirror (Nationals), Eileen Herlihy – Head, entertainment and events, BBC Scotland and Ellis Watson – Director, marketing and business development, FirstGroup
4. What post was former assistant news editor at the Daily Record, Derek Masterton, taking up that prompted a colleague to say that he was making “a seamless transition from ruining lives to saving lives”?
Scottish media relations officer, the Red Cross – Deputy chief executive, the Samaritans – Fundraising co-ordinator, Shelter Scotland – Campaigns manager, Friends of the Earth Scotland?
A. Scottish media relations officer, the Red Cross
5. The magazine circulation statistics, from the Audit Bureau of Circulation, appear twice a year, but the latest batch – in August – did not include many Scottish titles. Of those that did appear, match the following magazines with the average figures.
My Weekly – Times Education Supplement Scotland – The Skinny People’s Friend – Scots Magazine
313,711 – 145,676 – 34,691 – 6277 – 33,130
A. My Weekly – 145,676, Times Education Supplement Scotland – 6277, The Skinny – 33,130, People’s Friend – 313,711, Scots Magazine – 34,691
6. Which Scottish local newspaper was recently taken over by its employees?
The Buteman, Mearns Leader, Lennox Herald, West Highland Free Press or the Fife Free Press?
A. West Highland Free Press
7. What’s the name of radio broadcaster, Lesley Riddoch’s production company?
Fiery Productions, Feisty Productions or Fighting Productions?
A. Feisty Productions
8. Bauer Media owns Radio Clyde and also Radio Forth.
Name at least three other Scottish radio stations that it owns.
Radio Borders, West Sound, Tay, Northsound and Moray Firth Radio.
9. Scottish Sun columnist, John Smeaton, was one of the candidates in the recent Glasgow North East by-election. Who were the Tory and SNP candidates, both with BBC Scotland backgrounds?
A. Ruth Davidson and David Kerr
10. Which of the following Scots won the News Special prize at this year’s Sony Radio Academy Awards, with an investigation, Never Too Old To Care?
Aasmah Mir, Edi Stark, Eleanor Bradford or Arifa Farooq?
A. Edi Stark
11. 2009 saw the publishers of the Wee County News newspaper launch yet another title. What was it called?
The Auchterarder Courier, the Gleneagles Gazette, the Perthshire Examiner or the Strathallan News?
A. Strathallan News
12. The Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, was quoted, saying, “This Broon certainly grew up loving The Broons”, as the Sunday Post newspaper celebrated an important birthday at the start of 2009.
How old is it? 50 years old, 90, 120, 160, 210?
13. Which sports broadcaster recently went bust in the UK, prompting fears as to whether Scottish Premier League football clubs would receive any income from their matches being televised?
14. Which TV channels took the Terrestrial and Non-terrestrial Channel of the Year awards at the most recent Edinburgh International Television Festival?
A. BBC One (Terrestrial), E4 (Non-terrestrial)
15. Which magazine was named Magazine of the Year at the Scottish Magazine of the Year awards, in November, and which newspaper was chosen Newspaper of the Year at the Scottish Press Awards, in April?
A. Dumfries & Galloway Life, The Scottish Sun
* Please enjoy Chrivas Brothers brands responsibly.