MY Top Ten invites media practitioners to identify their top ten websites, apps, software tools and gadgets, etc, and here it is the turn of technology writer, Bill Magee.
Bill is a freelance business writer, mainly for Scotland on Sunday newspaper, with a specialism in technology; indeed, he was chosen inaugural Technology Writer of the Year at awards hosted earlier this year by Scottish information and communications technology trade body, ScotlandIS.
1. Twitter.com – web application – Like it or loath it, ‘tweeting’ has fast become THE major storytelling social media force we just cannot ignore.
2. LinkedIn – professional networking – Reach instant global connections at a stroke.
3. BTTradespace.com – website – Now in Web 2.0 format, the business end for SME business folk operating in all sectors.
5. KnowYourMobile – website – All you need to know about those pesky and quite bewildering apps and price tarrifs before shelling out your hard-earned cash.
6. ScotlandIS – website – Trade body for all you need to know about Scottish software, IT and creative technology businesses.
7. bbc.co.uk/technology – website – Great, broad brush tech coverage for the layman.
8. bbc.co.uk/scotland – website – Get up-to-date about your own backyard.
9. Google News – website – Comprehensive constant rundown of what’s happening.
10. Wikipedia – website – Of course, don’t believe everything you read here (bit like newspapers), but still good sources.